The Nordic Council on Disability is a policy-making and advisory body for the Nordic Council of Ministers.
- Policy Creation means that the Council try to bring important disability issues in the Nordic and national political agenda.
- The Advisory Council is to act as support and source of knowledge for the Nordic Council of Ministers of different sectors in efforts to implement handikapperspektiv in business strategies and future plans.
The Council has set up five sector network with officials from the Nordic countries' ministries. The networks are taking the initiative to conferences and other forms of exchanges between the Nordic countries and bring skills to the Council's activities.
The five sectoral networks dealing with issues relating to:
A sixth network was introduced in 2009 with representatives of national ministries or departments for Disability Policy Coordination.
Council strategy 2009-2011:
- Influence the political processes of the Nordic Council of Ministers
- Democracy for all
- Youth and children
- Legislation on anti-discrimination
- Demographic change and its consequences Disability
The Council has 20 members. It comes from 2009, a representative from the newly created sixth network, which consists of representatives from the departments / ministries responsible for national coordination on disability. The past five sector networks is as before: building and community planning, education, transport, culture, and labor.